Aquarium Tips from Melbourne Tropical Fish
Aquarium Tips – Here are some tips on keeping your aquarium:
- All plain & custom-made aquariums are sold with polystyrene. This must be placed underneath the aquarium otherwise the aquarium can crack or cause stress on the silicone joints.
- The aquarium must be placed on a completely level surface otherwise stress cracks may occur causing the aquarium to leak.
- When cleaning the aquarium please make sure you don’t rub along any of the silicone joins with algae pads etc. as this can cause the joins to give way.
- Try not to place the aquarium in any direct sunlight as this can cause algae blooms within the aquarium.
- Never spray any fly spray, deodorant etc. around the aquarium as this may poison the fish.
- Always ensure you have no perfumes, moisturizers etc. on your hands while handling anything to do with the aquarium.
- Never place the aquarium on top of a fridge, television, stereo etc. as the noise and fluctuation of temperature can harm the fish.
- Most fish need feeding once a day. If there is any food left after 5 minutes you have fed the fish too much and this food must be removed immediately.
- If you have a florescent light fitting above the aquarium, we recommend the tube be replaced on a yearly basis as the spectrum of the tube will fade over time. The lighting hours we recommend are between 8-12 hours per day.
- Always make sure your filter is switched on 24 hours a day and is cleaned out on a regular basis of approximately every 2 weeks. We also recommend a 20-30% water change using a gravel cleaner every 2 weeks. Do not clean your filter out at the same time as doing a water change. If you are using carbon in your filter system make sure that this is replaced at least once every 4-6 weeks as it will start releasing impurities that it has absorbed back into your aquarium. Replace any Course sponges every 4 – 5 months, any fine sponges every 4-8 weeks and replace 1/3 of any biological media every 6-12 months. You should never wash biological media in tap water.
- The pH of the aquarium should be monitored after every water change. Ask one of our staff members what the pH level should be for your fish.
- Introduce fish slowly to your new aquarium, never add any more than a few fish every 1-2 weeks, please advise a Melbourne Tropical Fish staff member if your aquarium is newly set up and they will recommend an appropriate number of fish for you to start with.
To View our full range of Aquariums, click HERE.
Melbourne Tropical Fish
Factory 2/41-43 Sinclair Rd
Dandenong VIC 3175
(03) 9792 5513